1898 - 1986
Reclining Figure: Holes
5 inches long including bronze base (12.7cm)
Conceived in 1982.
Signed and numbered ‘Moore/4/9’ (on the bronze base) and stamped with the foundry mark ‘NOACK BERLIN’ (on the side of the bronze base).
Literature: A.Bowness, Henry Moore Complete Sculpture 1980-86 Volume 6, London, 1983, p.48, no.857.
£14000 inc VAT
> Enquire About this Work
Henry Moore - Internationally renowned sculptor in stone, wood and bronze, mainly of figure subjects. Moore was born in Castleford , Yorkshire, and the son of a miner in 1898. After attending Leeds School of Art from 1919, Moore then studied at the Royal College of Art 1921-4. He went to France and Italy on a travelling scholarship in 1925, then returned to teach at the Royal College until 1932, after which he taught at Chelsea School of Art until 1939. He was then able to live off his own work.
He had his first one-man show at the Warren Gallery in 1928 and from his early exhibiting years was bought by discriminating collectors such as Sir Michael Sadler. His first public commission, for a relief on the London Underground Building, over St James’ Park tube station, was in 1928-9. Eventually his monumental sculptures were to be purchased by galleries throughout the world and several retrospective exhibitions were held, with a memorial show at the RA in 1988. During his career Moore was to participate in a number of forward-looking groups, such as the 7 & 5 Society, Unit One and the International Surrealist Exhibitions in London in 1936 and Paris in 1938. During World War II his talents found new outlets in drawings of miners working and groups of Londoners sheltering in the underground, published in The Shelter Sketch-Books.
Moore was internationally honoured, he became a Companion of Honour in 1955 and was awarded the Order of Merit in 1963. The Henry Moore Centre for the Study of Sculpture exists in Leeds. Moore lived at Much Hadham, Hertfordshire, until his death in 1986, where his house and grounds helped form The Henry Moore Foundation.