1930 - 1993
Dame Elisabeth Frink was born in 1930 in Thurlow, Suffolk. She studied at Guilford School of Art, 1949-53, under Willi Soukop and Bernard Meadows. She taught at Chelsea School of Art, 1951-61, St Martin’s School of Art, 1954-62, and at the Royal College of Art, 1965-7. After early exhibiting with LG, Frink had a one-man show at St George’s Gallery in 1955 and four years later at Bertha Schaefer Gallery, New York. Over the years she established herself as a sculptor concerned with themes, such as goggle men, running men and horses with and without riders. She worked on many major public commissions, such as Wild Boar for Harlow New Town; Blind Beggar and Dog, at Bethnal Green; and a noble horse and rider, Piccadilly, London. The predatory and the vulnerable are both important aspects of Frink’s work.
She was elected RA in 1977 and five years later became Dame Elizabeth Frink. Made a Companion of Honour, 1992. Exhibited extensively internationally, with work in major collections including Tate Gallery and Arts council. While fighting cancer Frink struggled to complete her last commission, a monumental but unusual figure of Christ for the front of the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool, unveiled a week before her death in Woolland, Dorset. There was a memorial show at Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Bretton Hall, 1994. Frink’s son is the painter Lin Jammet.