10 days devoted to every aspect of visual art Calendar of Events
Beyond the Horizon – An Exploration of International, British and Suffolk Art
International avant-garde artist Joseph Beuys, who said, “everyone is an artist”, is the inspiration behind the first annual Aldeburgh ART week.
Beuys was introduced to the UK by the legendary Richard Demarco, who leads the week with his avant-garde vision.
Aldeburgh has memories for Demarco who stopped off here on his quest to bridge artistic links between the UK and Europe. Facing the continent, Aldeburgh is a magnet for culture and innovation.
Many of Britain’s most important artists, from Royal Academicians to YBAs, have eagerly accepted the chance to stretch their creativity using the uniqueness of the Aldeburgh coastline as inspiration.
Artists participating include:
- Peter Blake RA, Paul Benney, Eileen Cooper RA, Stephen Farthing RA, Ryan Gander, Anthony Green RA, Nigel Hall RA, John Hoyland RA, Chris Wainwright.
- Joseph Beuys community photography and Marina Abramovic inspired performance art on the beach.
- Ongoing entertainment in the Jubilee Hall including formal and informal performances relating to visual art.
- Andy Warhol day with showing of the film Factory Girl at the cinema and a brand new Warhol play.
- Sculpture at Glemham Hall, including Frink and Randall-Page.
- Revolving exhibition at the Cinema Gallery of participating artists.
- Suffolk artists exhibiting in and around Aldeburgh.
- Daily exhibitions, discussions, films, plays, music, poetry, visits to art galleries, studios and private collections, lunches and dinners all relating to the visual arts.